Treated for PCOD. Had intercourse. Missing periods. HPT negative. What should I do?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Question: Hi, This is XXXXX. I m 24 yrs old. I have fairly regular periods but every 7-8 months periods get delayed by a month or so atleast once. I have been earlier treated for PCOD..so I know taking meprate 10 mg twice a day for three days will help. Now, this time again the same problem. I had intercourse just two days before my cycle dates...and it has been a week up since then..but no periods. I did a home test for pregnancy yesterday, negative result. I am yet to take Meprate..what should I do next? I am on thyroid medication as well 100 mg everyday. Please advice
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 32 minutes later
The delay in your periods is less likely to be due to pregnancy as you had sex just two days prior to your expected periods which is not a fertile period of the cycle. Still it is best to rule out the pregnancy first and then take any pills for a withdrawal bleeding.
You can go for a serum Beta HCG estimation which is a sensitive test to detect any pregnancy. In case the test comes negative, then the delay in periods is likely to be due to hormonal disturbance. This can be taken care of by taking meprate while continuing with your thyroid hormone supplementation.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 minutes later
Hi, Do I really need to do this Beta HCG estimation? Or should I just do another home test? My partner is pretty sure that he did not goof up.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Serum beta HCG is not necessary. You can repeat a home pregnancy test using the first morning sample of urine.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.