Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Trauma resulted in disc bulging, ruptured and fluid leaked from it. Mobilised from physiotherapist. Advised for pain management. Advise?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1976
Answered : 1872 Questions
My daughter had a major trauma to her back at work several years ago that resulted in a disc bulging from between her spine joints. That disc was itself ruptured and fluid leaked from it, she found out later. Being naive, she headed to her GP, who immediately sent her off to a phsyiotherapist who MOBILISED her, jiggilng her around, from what I can make out. Later, my daughter learned immobilisation should have been the path to take when the trauma occurred. In the following years, she managed the pain and took unpaid time from her work in an effort to help her recovery.
Back at work, another accident, minor though it was, has set the whole issue in motion, to the point that she is only able to work 12 hrs a week at the moment, and the work GP and others associated with her issue, have told her to see a "psych" for pain management. I am concerned, as I have seen the result of pain management drugs used for spinal problems.
What would be your ideas? - XXXXXX
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

Any injury needs to be evaluated before further course of management can be suggested. I suggest that your daughter consults an orthopedic surgeon and get her injury evaluated. She may even require a MRI to know the extent of injury and then only management protocol decided.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your daughter an early recovery.


Rajiv K Khandelwal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor