Trace blood in urine on routine test. What does trace mean? What is a trace amount?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in General Health
Question: What does trace mean? What is a trace amount?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. it means that there is very small amount of blood in your urine which is still detectable. Any amount of blood in urine is not normal sign,but trace blood in urine should not worry you as it in most cases doesnt require any treatment and doesnt indicate any serious disease. In most cases this is sign of mild uroinfection, kidney stone, or genital injury and sometimes the exact cause cant be established especially if you dont have any symptoms. Serious diagnoses such as tumors are the last thing to think of and it is usually manifested with macrohematuria. If you have symptoms(pain while urinating,frequent urinating, pain in lumbar area,fever etc.) you should do further tests(kidney ultrasound, kidney functional tests, urinoculture) and then it can be treated. Otherwise, I suggest just to drink plenty of fluids, uroprotective teas and repeat urine analysis in 2-3 weeks. Wish you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help. Regards