Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Torn ACL in knee. Knee replacement to be done. Noticed hard bumps with white centre under knee. What is this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10353 Questions
I have a torn ACL in my right knee. I am to go and get a knee replacement but have been putting it off because my leg muscles above are weak. So, I joined Aqua Fit and Friday night July 6th, I noticed a hard substance under my about the size of a golf ball and the centre is white. Hurts like hell, when I walk or on my feet for long time. I went to the doctor on July 9th and he proscribed antibotics for me. I just would like to know what this is.
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
From your description it seems that you have a hematoma formation in the area due to the stress of exercising.
A direct examination is needed to further confirm the diagnosis.
A good close up picture will be very much appreciated. You may attach a pic using the "upload your reports" feature on the query page-left hand side.
In case the swelling is due to a hematoma, then it is likely to resolve spontaneously over weeks. Avoid doing any exercise meanwhile. Doing a cold compress in the area will be helpful.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Torn ACL in knee. Knee replacement to be done. Noticed hard bumps with white centre under knee. What is this? 10 hours later
What sort of exercise can I do, Aqua Fit is good for me, but maybe I go easy on the leg exercises because I really pushed myself on July 5th.
Are the antibotics going to help this condition.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Antibiotics will help in preventing the infection in the area. Do not indulge in any heavy exercise during the time of pain.
Passive stretching exercises of hamstrings under the care of a physiotherapist will be helpful.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor