Took valtrex and vitimans B complex for shingles. Pain in temple, dizziness and fatigue. Should I be concerned about stroke?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Sept. 8th were my first symptoms of shingles. Was at doctor within 72 hours. Breakout on forehead directly over eye, small breakouts on eyelid and corner of eye and on scalp to top of head, temple area, slight earache. Was given 2 steroids shots over 4 wk perioid. Took by mouth took Valtrez?, Vitimans B complex and E. Also was seen by an opthomologist twice during this time. Did not see shingles in the eye. This is about 6 weeks later: still some mild pain in temple, forehead and up to top of head. Also experience some occasions of forgetfulness, most of which came back to me within a 1 min or so, times of slight dizziness and extreme fatigue. Should I be concerned about a stroke? Still experiencing some momentary forgetfullness, mild pain in all areas of breakout, mild earache, some dizziness and my fatigue has not completely left me. I am 70 yrs. old in good general XXXXXXX but was recovering from stress and tiredness from the care and passing of my parents, when shingles occured. Is there something I could be doing for my care at this stage? XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the following caring suggestions..

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

First, accept my condolences regarding the death of your dad. Wish he is peacefully resting in paradise.

With regards to being fatigued, light headache and dizziness might be related to the exhaustion you experienced while caring for your father. Do not worry. You need time to get your strength again.

Being in severe fatigue has precipitated your shingles; at the same time, shingles is "grabbing" more energy to you. It is good that you are taking proper treatment.

Again, I would ask for patience to overcome this viral disease because time is the and patience and rest is what you mostly need now.

Having occasional forgetfulness at your age is not something to make you worry and is not a good reason to think about stroke.

Please understand that every person has sometimes "blackout" in the memory, and this is caused due to fatigue, exhaustion, work or/and stress overload, etc.

As long as you enjoy a good general health without any heart, kidney, liver or other neurological or XXXXXXX health concerns; I would assure that this has nothing to do with stroke.

However, as I already mentioned, it is crucial to determine if the above-mentioned vital organs are in good health first.

Next, if I was your caring doctor, I would advise to take some rest, give time to your body to recover from the exhaustion; follow the directions given for caring of shingles; drink plenty of natural water, eat healthy and fresh foods; get some fresh air and walking, and I am sure you will be back to being in good general health again.

Hope it answered to your inquiry!

P.s. If you have further concern, please write back to me!

Dr.Benard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T