Took unwanted 72 after intercourse. Got period and missed next month. Chances of pregnancy?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: me and my bf genital area touched for 10 sec "WITHOUT ANY INTERCOURSE
AND EJACULATION" .after that he ejaculated with his brief on and i was
wearing my panty on 23 nov.but still i took U-72 WITHIN 24 hrs on 24
nov. my previous periods were on 31 oct.and i got my period on 1
dec.but till now my periods haven't come yet . i also took home
pregnancy test. and it came "NEGATIVE". i haven;t experienced any
symptom yet. is there still any chance that i am pregnant???? IS THERE
ANY NEED OF BLOOD TEST????
my question are:-

1>are home pregnancy test reliable or accurate??
2>the incident happened almost one month ago,and i haven't experienced
any symptoms yet,and i got my period after that too.....am i still
pregnanct??
3> when does pregnancy symptoms start to show off??
4> what are the first and sure symptoms of pregnancy??
5> for how long i should wait for my periods to start???
6> should i opt for blood test???

please help me ...i am really worried????
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 54 minutes later
1. Since you took unwanted 72 within 24 hours, chances of pregnancy are less than 0.5%.
2. The urine pregnancy tests are reliable if it is of a good quality and highly sensitive.
3. The period you had was a withdrawal bleeding due to the pill. The chances of pregnancy are negligible.
4. Pregnancy symptoms start to show off at 35 days from the last period.
5. None of the symptoms can be called a sure symptom of pregnancy except for a blood test.
6. You can wait for two weeks more for your periods to start.
7. Blood test is not required if you used a good quality urine test kit.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
mam,

1>the period as you said is withdrawal bleeding....then what are my chance of pregnancy??/

2> can pregnancy happen by only genital touch without any ejaculation and intercourse???

3>that withdrawal bleeding that i had ,can be consider as period???? and if yes, then after that period,i count for 35 days to pregnancy symptoms to start??/
4>i haven't experienced any symptoms yet???
5> i am experiencing pain in my waist for 2-3 days,is that due to my periods are about to come??? or related to pregnancy??

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 hours later
1. Since there was no intercourse and you took emergency pill within 24 hours, the chances of pregnancy are less than 0.5%.
2. Very rare but possible.
3. No. The withdrawal bleeding cannot be considered a normal period. You will have to count 35 days from your previous period- after which you met with your friend.
4 Since the chances of pregnancy are extremely low, don't look for symptoms. Be relaxed and you will have your periods.
5. Pain in the lower abdomen could be related to the periods that are due.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 hours later
respected mam

1>what are the chances of pregnancy after withdrawal bleeding???
2>how much effective are these pills??
3>if my blood test comes out "NEGATIVE",THEN ???
4>if it comes out "POSITIVE",is there any abortion pills through which abortion can be done???
5>its more then 35 days from that incident,and i am not showing any symptoms...but my period haven't start yet???
6>mam the bleeding i had last about 4-5 days and was normal without any brown discharge,still it was withdrawal bleeding??
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 hours later
1. The chances of pregnancy in your case are less than 0.5%.
2. The emergency contraceptive is 95% effective within 24 hours of unprotected sex, 85% between 25 - 48 hours and 58% if taken between 49 - 72 hours.
3. If the blood test comes negative then you can wait for your periods for at least one more week. If still there is no bleeding then consult your gynecologist to rule out other causes of delayed periods like hormonal imbalance, PCOD, stress, etc and treat you accordingly.
4. If it comes positive, then abortion pills are there but these are effective only till 7 weeks of gestation and need to be taken under the guidance of a gynecologist.
5. Please do not worry and wait for your periods.
6. The withdrawal bleeding can be slight spotting or a heavy bleeding. The bleeding you had was likely to be a withdrawal bleeding.
Please keep me informed regarding the progress.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.

Warm regards

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 days later
respected mam,

as you know about the incident....my periods didnt come on 12 XXXXXXX ...so i went for pelvic ultrasound....and detected "BILATERAL POLYCYSTIC OVARIAN DISEASE"....and also opted for "beta hcg test" and the hcg level was "0.6".....i also went for another ultrasound again...but they didnt detected anythng...and told me some test for " LH/FSH,THYROID,PROLACTIN AND PROGESTRONE"....AND gave me 5 days tablet for the periods to come....and yesterday i noticed white gummy like discharge...and today i noticed brownish discharge....and also i am having pain in my lower abdomen ....and waist...and sometime in body....and my belly got some bulge too.....is there still any chance of pregnancy???? and if it is....can it be detected in ultrasound????

if there is no chance...then why my periods are not coming??? and the discharge i had was normal thing or something else???

the test that were written are related to pregnancy????? please help me mam....i am really worried....
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Pregnancy is not there as the beta HCG test is negative. The delay in periods is due to hormonal disturbance caused by polycystic ovaries. You have been given the treatment and your periods will start after you finish taking the tablets. The tests that have been suggested are ti find out the hormonal imbalance.
The discharge you had is a normal thing and is not worrisome.
The pregnancy would have been detected on ultrasound.
Go ahead with the treatment prescribed to you.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
mam....

is there still any chance of pregnancy at later...as its been already more then 40 days to dat incident....and after that i too pill too and had my period....but now i haven't....and too hpt(negative), one ultrasound(pcod),second ultrasound(nothing),beta hcg(0.6).....

1>is there still any chance of pregnancy at later stage...or now i can completely rule it out????
2> is there any chance of ectopic pregnancy???
3> why is there slight pain in my lower abdomen and waist???
4>sometime i feel headache and fever...can that be associlated with pregnancy???
5>what about the bulge i had near my belly????
6>after how much time of intercourse...does pregnancy symtoms starts to show off...and pregnancy can be detected through ultrasound or blood test????
7> the tablets given to me for periods...after completion of the course...is there surity that my period will come...and if they wont..then???
8>after the completion of course....how much time after course..will my period will come...???

in my case....can i now completely rule out pregnancy or is there still any chance of pregnancy later???
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 57 minutes later
1. There is no chance of pregnancy till now from the incident that you have mentioned.
2. No . Ectopic pregnancy is also ruled out after ultrasound and beta HCG evaluation.
3. The mild pain might be related to the premenstrual syndrome or polycystic ovaries.
4. These symptoms are not suggestive of pregnancy.
5. The bulge is likely to be due to water retention in the body associated with delayed periods due to polycystic ovaries.
6. After 15 days of the intercourse the symptoms start showing. The same is true for blood test and ultrasound.
7. If you do not have periods even after taking the tablets then a major hormonal imbalance is likely and three months hormonal treatment will be needed to regularize your periods.
8. After completing the medicines, it will take around 72 hours for the periods to start.
I hope that decreases your anxiety.
as you said...after 15 days of intercourse..pregnancy symptoms starts showing...and it been more then 46 days..i haven't experienced anything....and also had negative hpt,and negative beta hcg test....so now ,i can completely rule out pregnancy???? or there is still a chance later on???

is there again any need of ultrasound or beta hcg test in my case????

does hcg is present in non pregnant women too????

my hcg level is 0.6/.....is there any thing to worry...as there is hcg present in mycase????? or it is normally found in non-pregnant women too??

regards,
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 hours later
Pregnancy is completely ruled out for now.
There is no need to repeat these tests to rule out pregnancy again. The mild quantity of beta HCG can be present in non pregnant too. It is the rising titres of beta HCG which are diagnostic of pregnancy.
Warm regards