Took treatment for prostatitis. Experiencing pain in genital area. Is there a possibility of cancer?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Cancer
Question: Dr Patil: this is my second question on my prostatits issue. I developed symptoms of prostatits: soreness at tip of penis, frequent urination starting on October 11th. Symptoms started slowly four days after unprotected oral and vaginal intercourse with a new partner. As I recall the oral sex was vigorous with some feeling if teeth on my penis. On October 23rd I went to a GP who did a digital rectal exam and noted one small firm area on my prostate and asymmetry. My PSA score in July was 1.16. (Up from 0.60 a year ago) She prescribed an antibiotic for a general STI (even though my urine tests were all clean). (Flavicide or Levaquor?) the meds did not help. On Oct 31st I went to a urologist who prescribed doxycycline. He said the cause of my prostatitis was unknown and that it was a common condition that would go away eventually. Now the 14 day treatment is almost over and I am still experiencing dull pain in genial area, slight burning after ejaculation and a slowness in getting an erection. Usually I am very quick to get an erection before October 15th. I have another appt on nov 26th. Should I ask for Cipro to kill this problem off? I am very worried that I will never get over this. I hate the symptoms especially the sexual ones. I am an otherwise very very healthy 52 yr old. Do I possibly have cancer due to the firm spot on my prostate? Will this ever go away completely? Should I ask for Cipro for 12 weeks? Would prostate massages be a good idea now or would they spread anything? Please help. I am very worried in California. Thank you kindly! Could this be a backed up sperm/testicle issue?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Does not look like Prostate Cancer. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have developed symptoms of prostatitis and erectile dysfunction after vigorous oral and unprotected intra vaginal sex . As per your statement digital rectal examination was done by your GP but since your PSA is within normal range the findings of your GP can not be relied upon . Was finding of your GP confirmed by Urologist by doing digital rectal examination again and by ultrasound scanning? With normal serum PSA it is most unlikely to be cancer prostate. Your recent problem of erectile dysfunction seems to be due to prostatitis . Please get culture and sensitivity of discharge obtained after prostatic massage done to find out the organism causing this infection and antibiotic to which they are sensitive to.so that you can start taking appropriate antibiotics as per culture report..(You will need help of a health personnel to get prostate massage done) Prostatitis takes long time to get resolved completely hence you will need to take antibiotics for a long period.(4-6 weeks) Prostatic massage done regularly will definitely help to fasten the recovery. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you . Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil. .
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 15 minutes later
Dr: 1. the urologist confirmed one small area of firmness in my prostate. Is this cause for concern? Could this firmness be caused by prostatits inflammation? Will the firmness ever go away? 2. Once you get prostatits is it a condition that will be chronic or not necessarlly? I would love to get rid of it once and for all. I am in very good health otherwise for age 52. 3. If its not caused by bacteria from sex what else could cause it? Will antibotics help if there is no known infection? If its not infection is inflammation possibly the cause? Sounds like you are recommending a prostate culture done by the urologist to determine best course of antibiotics right? Thank you!
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is evidence based bacterial Prostatitis. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for follow up. The firmness is different from a nodule. Firmness can be due to prostatitis however cancer is always reflected by a hard discrete nodule . Prostate cancer can be confirmed only by doing multi core prostate biopsy. Improperly or incompletely treated prostatitis may become chronic prostatitis. One can get prostatitis even after episode of UTI or even without bacterial infection what is called as abacterial prostatitis.which subsides over a period of time . Thanks and Regards . Dr.Patil.