Took regestrone tablet. Not getting periods. Any chances of getting pregnant?

Dr. Hema Yadav

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Question: Hi,Im 22 unmarried,I took regestrone tablet for getting my cycle before 3days the course of 10tablets was over,but till now i dint get my periods..is there any chance of me getting pregnant???
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 11 hours later
Regesterone is a hormonal tablet containing progesterone which when taken for ten days and stopped , will cause withdrawl bleeding within a week.
So if you have just finished your ten day course it is likely that you will have your period within few days . During the ten days of the tablet there will be no bleeding hence it is prescribed for postponement of periods by doctors . It can be used for preponement if taken well in advance in the middle of your cycle.
So please do not worry . If you were on regesterone and missed your dates you are most probably not pregnant and will have your menses anytime within a week from stopping . In rare cases it might disturb the menstrual cycle pattern and it may take more than a week , however in that case you will have to consult your doctor for further management .
As of now you may wait and watch for a week.
In case you had a history of unprotected intercourse in this month then it would be advisable to rule out pregnancy using a home urine pregnancy test kit ( pregcolor card etc) . If there has been no unprotected intercourse then it's unlikely that you are pregnant .
So I would advise you first of all to wait and watch for a week and if further delayed then get a urine test done and consult your doctor . As of now I don't think pregnancy is the most likely cause of this delay rather the regesterone is likely to be responsible for it.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.