Owl Image

Took regestrone pill for delayed period. Got periods. Took unwanted pill after sex. Concerned

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012

Question
I need a clarity...my actual date of periods was 17 December 2012, but to delay the periods I took regestrone pill from 12 December 2012 to 22 December 2012,then I got my periods on 25th December 2012 to 28 or 29 December 2012 and i had an unprotected sex on 30th December 2012.And I took yes what necessary steps are required to terminate it...and from which date my cycle would be considerd 17th December or 25th December 2012.
Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 47 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

I can understand your concern. I am giving your answers one by one.

1.     The date of your last menstrual period should be considered as 25th December, not the 17th December.

2.     As your last period was on 25th, then you have done sex before the ovulation. Usually ovulation occurs between 10 to 18 th days of one menstrual cycle.

So, there is very little chance of pregnancy. As you have taken the unwanted 72, the chance of getting pregnant is much lower.

3.     If you become pregnant, after all this, there is medicines like mifepristone which can cause medical termination of pregnancy. But, for this, you should consult with a gynecologist first to avoid any unwanted complications.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.