Took pill after unprotected sex. Started bleeding and missed next periods. Am I pregnant?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: Hello Doc: I would like to put my problem in points for better understanding:
1)My periods are usually on 17th of every month
2)I had unsafe sex 21st of October i.e on 4th day of my periods
3) I took an emergency contraceptive pill (i pill) within 40hrs
4) I had bleeding on 27th October for 5 days just like my normal periods (UNEXPECTED!)
5)Now I haven't had my periods on 17th of Nov (my normal period date) and also on 27th of November (the bleeding after i pill date)
I dont have any symptoms of pregnancy!
When to expect my periods?Am i pregnant? Please reply soon :(:(
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 33 minutes later

-As you had regular periods previously there is very less chance for ovulation to occur on 4th day of periods. So there is very less possibility for pregnancy.
-As you took the emergency pill in the first half of your cycle, it might have preponed your periods as a side effect. Because of that you might have had bleeding on 27th.
-As you interfered with natural cycle of menstruation, it may take sometime for regularization of hormonal levels and that may be responsible for your delayed periods.
And you may get periods soon, better to wait for one more week.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.