Took pill after unprotected sex. Missing periods. HPT negative. Chances of pregnancy?

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Question: Took a morning after pill on the 22nd day of the menstrual cycle within 24 hours after having unprotected sex. its the 31st day of the cycle and still no period. I took a home pregnancy test on the 27th day which was negative. I have used the pill thrice in the past 6 months. I am extremely worried. Please help! I do not wish to get pregnant.
And i also forgot to mention, i have a history of irregular menses, the cycle usually lasts for about 20-28days
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 21 minutes later
You would have been out of the fertile phase on the 22nd day of your cycle. You will eventually get withdrawal bleeding but due to such frequent use of the pill, your bleeding will be irregular. Its unlikely that you are pregnant. A pregnancy test wont come positive this early.
Just wait till you eventually get withdrawal bleeding. If you dont get bleeding within 2 weeks then take another test.
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 17 minutes later
I did have protected sex during the first week after my last bleeding, but now I'm paranoid in case some semen leaked out of the condom during those instances, hence I took the pregnancy test. Is there anything I could do other than wait?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 39 minutes later
Nothing to do at present but wait.Pregnancy test wont come positive so soon.It will take at least 4 weeks for it to be positive. Just wait for spontaneous menses to start.