Took pill after having unprotected sex. Got spotting. chances of pregnancy ?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Teen Pregnancy
Question: i had unprotected sex twice. first time was two days after the end of my period. i took the morning after pill 20 hours later. the second time was the day after i took the pill. in both cases, my boyfriend did not ejaculate anywhere near my vagina. what are my chances of getting pregnant?
there's also some spotting, is that a sign that the morning after pill has worked and that i'm not going to get pregnant?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 16 minutes later

The chances of pregnancy are very less in your case, because:
-In case of regular menstrual cycles of 28 to 30 days duration ovulation will not occur on 7th or 8th day of the menstrual cycle.
-There was no ejaculation.
-You took emergency pill within time.

Emergency pill can cause menstrual irregularities like preponing or postponing the periods, spotting, brown discharge etc.
So the spotting you have could be side effect of the pill.
For more details:http://srsree.blogspot.in/2012/08/emergency-contraceptive-pill-short-term.html
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 17 minutes later
how early can i take a pregnancy test? and how accurate is it if my period is late?
and do you think i have any reason to worry?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 46 minutes later

For accurate results, you can go for blood test for pregnancy after missing your expected date of periods or for urine test one week after missed periods.
As per your history the chances of pregnancy are less, so no need to worry.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.