Took perendopril, bendrthiazide for hypertension. Got swelling on ankle and feet. Safe to take amlodipine?
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX
1. You have not mentioned what complication you develop with bendrothiazide?
2. Swelling feet is a common side effect of amlodipine. There are many options before your doctor. FIrst of all he will see the extent of swelling and if it is tolerable & can be tackled by keeping your feet in non-dependent position for longer time. He may chose to decrease the dose of amlodipine to 2.5 mg and see the effect on swelling and blood pressure. Or he may stop amlodipine altogether and increase the dose of perindopril. He may choose to use S-amlodipine which has been promoted as less swelling causing variant of amlodipine. Depending upon the side effect with benzthiazide he may chose to add or replace another diuretic (class of drug to which benzflumethiazide belongs) with amlodipine.
3. He may not be keen on using perindopril with losartan as both belong to similar class of drugs (RAAS inhibitors) which has not been shown to be superior to one of these agents and I agree to this decision of his.
Please let me know what was the side effect you had with Bendrthiazide so that I can throw more light on this.
I began having headache and lack of concentration. He then prescribed amlodipine with perindopril and I suggested losartan and amlodipine but was not to be. My B/P remain unstable and I am concern.
I can only elevate my feet when I am at home in the evenings after doing the house work.
1. Since there was an increase in uric acid, I am afraid He will not be able to use Diuretic class of drugs as they all increase Uric acid.
2. Losartan vs. perindopril is again a personal choice and literature does not support use of any particular one.
3. Rest of the options will remain as I discussed above. There are many more anti-hypertensives from which he can choose but I have discussed the preferred ones only.
Please see your cardiologist and discuss further with all these options.
I hope I clarified your doubts.
Wishing you good health.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Pitting edema on the ankles in a hypertensive
- Is it safe to take bendrofluozide with perindopril for hypertension
- Home remedies for ankle swelling from hypertension
- Hypertension and swollen freckled ankles
- Itchy ankles hypertension
- Hypertension and swelling in feet
- Hypertensive burning sensation in feet taking atenolol amlodipine reason
- Hypertension ankle rash
- Taking losartan and amlodipine together for hypertension
- Amlodipine dosage for hypertension