Took painkiller for chest pain. X-ray normal. Reason for shortness of breath and fast heart rate?

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: i am 22 year old girl. from nearly 1 month i have left chest pain. i consulted a physician he advised me painkillers and antibiotics. but it was of no help. then i consulted a gynaecologist thinking may be its breast pain but after examining everything was alright. i went back to the physician and he advised me x XXXXXXX which also came out normal. now he says me to ignore the pain saying its nothing. but i have pain at all time and it increases when i sleep. i cannot sleep at night because of the pain. oreover i feel shortness of breath, i can sleep straight and not sideways because i feel shortness of breath when sleeping sideways and pain also increases. and i have a pulse rate on the higher side. its arnound 95 generally and after doing some heavy work it was once 166.i am worried. please advice what should i do
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 2 hours later

Thanks for sharing your concerns. I understand the difficulty you are having.
I have gone through your history.

Please do not worry as your pain possibly is not due to any serious problem. There could be possible reasons for shortness of breath and fast heart rate (Tachycardia). You should see the Physician again or another physician and get Investigated for any Thyroid issues by T3, T4 and TSH and Pulmonary function tests. A Complete blood count to rule out anemia should also be done.

If everything comes normal, then it may be due to anxiety. Then drugs like Beta blocker and anti anxiety drugs may be very useful.

Hope this information helps you to plan a line of action. If you have any further query please do ask. I will be available to help.

Regards.
Dr.Akhilesh Dubey M.D.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 8 hours later
hello sir

i got my tests done and the reports are normal. no anaemia. just a liitle increase in the esr which my physician says is not of concern.

today, while having a family outing i was laughing and then suddeenly acute pain started in the left side. n i started sweating. it became normal after lying down for sometime.

as for anxiety . i dont think i am under any pressure.. is there a possibility that there is something wrong with my heart.

plz reply.
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later
Hi.
Thanks for your follow up,
I am glad to know that you do not have any abnormal reports.
Pains while laughing could be just because of muscle pull do not correlate that pain to heart.
Please take up some hobby and practice yoga and meditation.
Please see your physician and follow his advice and prescription carefully.
I am sure you will be all right soon.
Please be optimistic and hopeful.
I have answered your query, if you have any further query please revert back to me.
Regards.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli