Took ortho tri cyclen lo, now started tri sprintec. Started spotting heavily. Should I be concerned?
Thanks for your question.
Spotting during first few months of starting birth control pills is quite common but if it is persistent & increasing then we must do something to stop it.
First of all I recommend that you should have a pelvic ultrasound preferably trans-vaginal to rule out any pelvic pathology, like polys, which may present this way ( inter-menstrual spotting ). If this is normal then you may request your doctor to give you a high dose birth control pill or a mono-phasic pill which may help in stopping this persistent spotting. Most likely this will solve your problem. If not, you should have an endometrial biopsy to confirm that there is nothing wrong in your uterus.
If the biopsy is normal then we can try other things to control this spotting like adding some extra medicine in second half of your cycle or switching to other methods of birth control.
Hope I have given you the desired guideline. You may write back if you have any question.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Ortho tri cyclen lo early period
- Ortho tri cyclen lo and eye twitching
- Ortho tri cyclen lo and phenphedrine
- Ortho tri cyclen lo pins and needles
- Usage of on ortho tri cyclen lo
- Ortho tri cyclen lo week early
- Can ortho tri cyclen lo delay periods
- Taking ortho tri cyclen lo and my period started two days early
- Ortho tri cyclen lo and indigestion
- The yellow dot on the ortho tri cyclen lo pack