Took misoprostol 200mcg. Not getting periods. What should I do?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Question: hi, my last period was 10th september. last weak my test was postive & thursday 10 pm i took misoprostol 200mcg 1 tablate by aral & one in my inside. but nothing happend. just little bit paning. agin i took my second does yesterday night. but until now nothing happend.. pls. what can i do
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later
You are already more than 10 weeks pregnant.
methotrexate,mesoprostol and mifiprestone) is effective if pregnancy is less than seven weeks.
The drugs you have used are to be taken under Medical Supervision as it can cause serious effects as nausea,vomitting,fever,pain, excessive vaginal bleeding and sometimes incomplete abortion can also occur causing the remnants to remain.
Please do not use these without a medical supervision.
Now that you are more than 10 weeks pregnant, if you want to terminate the pregnancy, you can only go for the surgical procedure- D&C. You can consult your gynecologist and plan the same.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 hours later
sorry my last period was 10th of octomber
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Since you are just two days less than 7 weeks of pregnancy MTP by medical methods can be done.

For this purpose, you need to get an examination done and the drugs prescribed from your gynecologist. You will be asked to come to the clinic and then oral mifiprestone tablet will be given to you. If your blood group is Rhesus-negative you will have an Anti-D injection.

Then you will be asked to come back from home after 6 hours or 2 days later. At this visit, misoprostol tablets are placed in the vagina. The misoprostol tablets will cause you to have cramps and bleed heavily. This usually starts about 2 hours after using the misoprostol and the process of abortion is completed within 4 or 5 hours after taking the misoprostol. You have taken only misoprostal tablets which are not effective without taking mifepristone.

After abortion, you will have to take a repeat ultrasound to check the status of pregnancy. If there are any retained products of conception then you may need a D+C (dilatation and curettage).

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.