Owl Image

Took meth. Have HBP. Should I take hypertension medicine immediately?

Psychiatrist
Question
I took meth end of last year. Now i have been clean for a month. But yesterday my high blood pressure was 159/90. Two days before that, my bp was 140/100. Why is that? Is it post acute withdrawal symptom that i should get on hypertension medication immediately?
Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 49 minutes later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Meth (as well as a variety of other drugs) can cause changes in blood pressure, both during the intoxication phase as well as in the withdrawal phase. The usual withdrawal symptoms are expected during the first two weeks only, but still, in long-term drug users, the withdrawal symptoms can be protracted - also known as post acute withdrawal syndrome.

Having said that, the usual symptoms experienced in post-actue withdrawal syndrome are mood swings, anxiety, continuous craving, sleep disturbances and memory / concentration difficulties. It is unlikely that a prost-acute withdrawal syndrome can cause a persistently elevated BP, after 1 month of quitting. My opinion is that the BP elevation may not related to withdrawal and needs further evaluation and treatment.

I would advise you see your GP regarding this, so that further evaluation and treatment can be initiated as early as possible.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist