Took lorazepam before going out. Blood tested by police. Worried? What to do?

Posted on Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Coulld you advise me as I am very worried I took a 1mg lorazepam 24 hours before going out for a drink .I was blood tested by the policewill this show up 24 hours after taking it and still be in my system enough to cause me to be under the influence of drugs
Answered by Dr. Maruti Karale 1 hour later

Thanks for query.

Half life of lorazepam is 10-16 hrs. It takes up to 16 hrs to get half of the drug eliminated out of body. Also lorazepam gets distributed in body. Therefore it may take upt o 3 days to get eliminated out completely. Hence lorazepam can get detected if sample is collected within 24 hrs; but level of lorazepam may be very low.

Hope I answered your question. If you have any more queries please let me know.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Maruti Karale