Took liquid aleve pill and felt like struck in throat. What should I do?

Dr. Aparna Amritsagar

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I tried to take a liquid aleve pill which is fairly large, and I believe it's stuck in my throat. I have very enlarged tonsils that I have scheduled to be removed in about a month. Anything I can do to help get the pill down?
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 16 minutes later

Thanks for writing your query to us.

Drink more water. You should tilt your head forward or backward when swallowing the water, depending on where the pill is lodged in your throat. This will serve to further its downward motion.

Try a bite of thick bread or even a piece of fruit, bananas in particular, helps in downward movement of the pill.

Begin to swallow your own saliva, flexing your inner throat muscles in a typical swallowing routine. Depending on the location of the pill in your throat, it may eventually go down on its own with the aid of a swallowing technique.

Usually, the pill dissolves in your throat on its own. However, if pain persists, you should visit your treating doctor.

I hope I have answered your query. In case you have any further question, I will be happy to help you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan