Took ipill after unprotected sex. Missing period with abdominal pain and vomiting. Worrisome

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Question: I had unprotected sex with my gf on 22nd night and gave her one I pill that night itself. After that we had used condoms during sex. 23rd morning we had one time unprotected sex and later till 25th we had sex with condoms. And at 25th morning she had one more I pill for safety. Actually her period date is 27th but she didnt get her period tull now. She is having light abdominal pain and vomiting situation also. We are worried and not getting sleep also. Please tell me weather she may got preganancy or wen she ll get her periods?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 36 minutes later

The chance of pregnancy is very less, as:
-According to her menstrual cycle 22nd to 25th will not fall in ovulatory period.
-I pill will give protection for around 24 hours, so it might have given protection for 23rd morning act also.

I pill can alter the menstrual cycle depending on the period of the cycle when the woman will take it.
As she took the pills in the second half of the cycle they might have postponed the menstrual period.
For more details:http://srsree.blogspot.in/2012/08/emergency-contraceptive-pill-short-term.html
It is not good to use the emergency pills frequently. The symptoms she is having could be side effects of the pill.
Better to choose some regular contraceptive method.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 12 minutes later
Dr. Sree Gouri,

Thank you for the response. Am getting relaxed by seeing ur answer.
I am having some more doubts? Is there will be any chances of ectopic pregnancy? Could you please elaborate ovulation period also?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

According to few studies emergency pill can increase the possibility of ectopic pregnancy, if it fails to prevent the pregnancy.
But as the chances of pregnancy are less in your case, no need to worry about it.
Ovulation period is the fertile period in menstrual cycle.
In case of regular menstrual cycle of around 30 days duration, the ovulation can occur among 14th to 18th day.
So as 22nd Dec is her 25th day in the menstrual cycle (in case of regular 30 days cycle) the chance of ovulation is less during that period.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 10 minutes later
Hi dotor one final question.

When we can expect the periods in this case?
If not when we can XXXXXXX the physician regarding this?
Is it better to do preganancy test?
Or if the pregnancy is confirmed by test is there any abortion tablet? Could you please suggest the name of the tablet and direction of use.
Please help me.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 6 hours later

-You wait for one more week, possibly by that time she will get periods.
-If she doesn't get periods even after one week let her consult gynecologist.
-Urine pregnancy test may not detect pregnancy this much early.
-Better to undergo blood test for pregnancy after one week for accurate result. If not urine test after 2 weeks.
If the pregnancy test comes positive, you have to consult the gynecologist to confirm the intrauterine pregnancy by ultrasound and with her advice you can go for termination.