Took ibuprofen, sudafed, nyquil for cold. Got itchy rashes. Side effect?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am just getting over a bad cold where I took ibuprofen, sudafed, nyquil. I am now over thw worst part and am taking no more meds. However, I now have an itchy rash on my body and when I woke up this morning I am now getting pus pockets on my throat. Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

The condition can be urticaria , pityriasis versicolor, drug rash ,contact dermatitis etc.
Also I would like to know -
Since when you have this rash?
Does it blanch on pressure?
Do you have any history of drug reaction in past?
Which part of body is involved?
Is it raised and with patches or bumps over skin?
Can you upload photos of the affected area?

The photographs of the affected area would be very helpful to predict the condition.Upload the photographs and we can continue the discussion here.

Till the time you can apply a cooling soothing lotion like lactocalamine lotion twice a day.You can take tab zyrtec twice daily to control itching .Both are available as a OTC products.
Hope this helps.

Regards.
Dr Sudarshan
MD dermatologist.