Took fluconazole for yeast infection. Vagina became white. No itching or odor. Reason?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: Hi, I took fluconazole 150mg two days ago for yeast infection, now the inside of my vagina is very white. It does not itch, burn or smell bad but I'm just wondering why it looks that way.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 35 minutes later

White looking vagina is termed as white coated vagina or vaginal thrush which is associated with vaginal yeast infection though you are asymptomatic after taking the medication.

Complete treatment is required. Here, you need to take topical anti fungal cream which contains fluconazole or clotrimazole etc. Using vaginal suppository or tablets at bed time for 3 days is also quite helpful to get relief from above condition.

Some additional preventive measures are to be taken like:

1) Wash your genitalia from front to back manner after toileting to prevent spread of yeast infection.
2) Try to avoid soap to wash genital area. Soap substitutes can be used.
3) Don't use antiseptics, douches or perfumed sprays in the genital area.
4) Don't use perfumed toilet papers and menstrual products.
5) Avoid wearing tight-fitting pants and synthetic underwear.
6) May need to change clothes-washing detergent to avoid irritation.
7) Take healthy diet with more fruits/ vegetables and drink more water/ juice.

Hope, above information is quite helpful & sufficient to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 13 minutes later
The doctor gave me only 1 dose of fluconazole
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for follow up query.

Sometimes single dose fluconazole doesn't completely alleviate vaginal yeast infection. In such case, you may need to take repeat dose with vaginal application.

Therefore, you should use above mentioned vaginal cream or suppository and follow all preventive measures.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Be well and stay healthy.

Dr Soumen