Owl Image

Took flagyl for diverticulitis. Developed diarrhea. How to get cure?

Question
I have just concluded 10 days of Flagyl due to diagnosed Divurticulitis. I am 62 years old. While on the drug I developed diarhea. However, I have now been off the drug for 48 hours but still have frequent, urgent, runny movements. Would the drug still have this affect on me as I have no other cold or flu symptoms. In other words could the flagyl still be affecting my movements 48 hours out?
Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Though flagyl (Metronidazole) is completely metabolized in liver, it does take time for the drug to be cleared from the body entirely. As the drug has higher half life (time taken for the reduction of the drug to half by metabolism), hence some metabolites of the drug do stay in body for more than a couple of days.

Therefore the persisting loose stool may still be the effects of flagyl and does not concern me. I expect you to be fine in the next few days. You need not worry. Avoid spicy foods and take high fiber diet which will help you recover from the diarrhea soon.

However if the intestinal upset does not subside even after 4 days of stopping the medication, I recommend you to visit your doctor to rule out other causes for the same.

Hope I answered your query.

Please do let me know if there are any other concerns.