Took emergency contraceptive pills after sex. Experiencing light pain and bleeding. What could this be?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Question: Hello Doctor, in a similar concern towards IDOZ 72, i and my boyfriend had 2 unplanned sex in last 7 days.. And i had to take said medicine twice... I took the 2nd one yesterday. Today i am having light pain and non-continuous small bleeding. My periods are 5 days ahead. Please guide... M distressed
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPECTED AND NORMAL SIDE EFFECT , DO NOT WORRY. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Pain with cramps and spotting / bleeding are common side effects of emergency contraceptive pills. Almost all women experience some amount of withdrawal bleeding after taking emergency contraceptives. You have taken the pills twice in one week, which will heighten these side effects. So do not worry, what you are experiencing is considered a normal side effect of these medications. Please remember that it is not recommended to take these pills so casually and frequently. A long term birth control method is much more preferable, effective and reliable. Also, these pills will prepone or postpone your expected normal period by a few days - maybe a week or more. All the best. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 21 minutes later
It started today evening... How long can i expect pain and bleeding?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: SHOULD SUBSIDE WITHIN 3 - 5 DAYS. Detailed Answer: Hi It should subside within 3 - 5 days. take care.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 10 hours later
Thank you so much... XXXXXXX One last question please : Whenever i go to pee, i see the blood flow coming out as if it were stored inside . Besides toilet... (3 times since pain started) , i am not noticing the blood.. And, i felt like pressure on vaginal lips while peeing. Can you please corroborate if its normal, and is expected? THANK YOU
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello again. Thank you for the appreciation. Spotting is often noticed like this - only when you use the washroom. Also, the pressure could be due to the cramps. Yes, after taking ECP, this is normal. Take care. Please feel free to contact me anytime directly on - WWW.WWWW.WW