Took domstal o and rantac 150 for hyperacidity. Started suffering from anal bleeding. Any remedy?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My father, age 85, has hyperacidity and taking domstal O capsules , rantac 150 & algel syrup since last five years daily one dose as prescribed by ENT specialist . Now since last few days he is suffering from anal bleeding. Is this because of taking the above drugs continuously for so long period ? pls help
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 26 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

This medicines can cause such symptom in very rare cases by intestines inflammation due to rantac intake. But this would give many other symptoms like diarrheas, fever, abdominal pain.
Anal bleeding can be caused by hemmorhoids, anal fissure, rectal polyps,colon cancer or bleeding from peptic ulcer. If the blood is bright or red and on the surface of the stool, hemorrhoids are most probable. If the blood is red and mixed with stool, polyps or colon cancer can cause it. If the blood is black so the whole stool is black, most probable is peptic ulcer.
In every anal bleeding, colonoscopy is necessary and upper GI endoscopy (if stool is black).

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 39 minutes later
Thank you so much for the answer. As per the doctor we consulted recently, there are inner hemorrhoids but they are very small in size. The blood is bright & red and most of the times passes separately and not with the stool.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Hello!

So this blood for sure comes from hemorrhoids. It is advisable to use hemorrhoids suppositories (available without prescription), avoid constipations, drink more mineral water, increase fiber XXXXXXX food, have hot baths after every bowel movement and the hemorrhoids should stop bleeding.
If not, colonoscopy should be performed as it is always possible that the blood might come from other source.

Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 hours later
Thank you ! This information is really helpful. Just last query. As you said, if problem persists then the colonoscopy would be necessary. Does this test and further relevant treatment need the aneasthesia ? if yes, then wht risks are involved to perform it on 85 year old.

Thanks & Regards,
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 58 minutes later
Hello!

Colonoscopy is usually performed with some medicines causing sedation(usually midazolam or Propofol with Fentanyl). This is not the same as anesthesia as there is no need of intubation and the patient breaths by his own. It just causes some kind of sleeping (lost consciousness without affecting brain function) that is safe in every age. Just to make sure, during such procedure, the heart rate and blood pressure is monitored.
So there is nothing to worry about.

Hope this will help.
Regards.