Took diflucan for yeast infection. Getting smelly discharge from vagina. What could this be?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: I've been having issues for weeks now. I thought I had a yeast infection so I took diflucan. About two days after it just got worse. I went and had an exam and there was no yeast present. She said it wasn't herpes or anything she could really see but tests didn't tell me anything helpful. I've had itching that seems to get worse at night, discharge that smells different then normal, excess discharge, strange almost rough feeling areas around the vaginal opening. Researching keeps pointing me to a yeast infection but after taking diflucan twice I still have symptoms. What could this be?
It also gets swollen the more irritated it becomes/if itched, and can feel burning at times.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

There is possibility of bacterial vaginosis.
Which occurs due to overgrowth of natural vaginal flora.
This can occur due to antibiotic usage, use of harsh soaps, detergents, deodorants etc.
There is possibility that insertion of nuva ring might have led to some infection.
Bacterial vaginosis usually presents with white discharge with fishy odor, itching, pain abdomen etc.
To diagnose this hanging drop preparation, KOH test etc to be done.
You once discuss this possibility with your doctor and proceed accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.