Owl Image

Took deviry tablets for missed periods. Test positive for pregnancy. Any risk on fetus?

Owl Image
Dr. Minoo Bhagia

OBGYN

Question
Hi, I am 34 years old, recently married. I had my last periods in mid Sep'12. I checked my pregnancy before going for vaction, it was -ive. I visited doctor, she performed Blood test to check pregnancy that was -ive till Nov 3rd, 2012. She prescirbed Deviry tablest & advised that I would get periods after 7 days. I did not get it. I was tested postive in pregnancy on Nov 20th (3-4weeks) with 8cm Intramural Fibroid. Doctor said there is no problem, continue with your pregnancy. My concerns are: Would the Deviry tablet impact my kid anyways?. Is intramural 8cm fibroid risky for my pregnancy?. What is the chance of normal delivery in my case?
Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 2 hours later
Hello
Welcome and thanks for the query

Deviry is medroxyprogesterone acetate and is not given during pregnancy and lactation as you never know the side effects of the drug on pregnancy.In some cases there may not be any side effects but there is no research which has proved it to be totally safe so you have to weigh both sides of the coin.The safe progesterone which is given during pregnancy is duphastan or micronized progesterone.If it is your first pregnancy then you can think of continuing as you are 34 yrs but be sure to get the triple and Quadruples markers as well as Level 2 ultrasound scan done under your doctor's guidance.Do not forget to take folic acid supplements or an active form of folic acid which is macfolate.
Intramural fibroid of 8 cm is not harmful for the continuation of pregnancy and will not affect the mode of delivery.Only the cervical fibroid or multiple big fibroids affect the normal vaginal delivery.Endometrial fibroids may cause miscarriages.

Best wishes and good luck
Any further query is most welcome

Follow-up: Took deviry tablets for missed periods. Test positive for pregnancy. Any risk on fetus? 1 hour later
Thanks for your response doctor. My doctor has given me folvite & Susten 200. I will definately get triple and Quadruples markers as well as Level 2 ultrasound scan done. Is there any specific time during the pregancny that I need to get this test done. Please advise. Also my lower abdomen is stiff at the right side & pains when I touch it, Is it due to fibroid? I would visit a doctor son. But I like to have an understanding & clear my intial apprehensions. Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 13 hours later
Hello

Dear

Welcome once again

It's good that you are taking Susten and Folvite.The Quadruple markers are done at 13-14 weeks of pregnancy but NT( Nuchal translucency) is seen at 11 weeks on USG scan.Combined markers are done in the first trimester.You go according to your doctor's advise.Lower abdominal pain can be due to pregnancy or fibroid.it is very difficult to differentiate between the two but you take bed rest till 12 weeks so as to avoid any unwanted side effect.If pain persists then isoxsuprine hydrochloride or duvadilan tablet can be added under your doctor's guidance.It is given for the relaxation of uterus and prevention of abortion as well as for the growth of fetus.
After 60 days of conception you can start iron tablets.Take lots of XXXXXXX leafy vegetables , fruits , milk , cereals , pulses , curd etc.Salt intake should be reduced , drink lots of water.Avoid stress , take proper sleep which includes 2 hrs in the afternoon and 8 hrs during night.
If you want to know anything else you are always welcome
Best wishes and good luck once again