Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Took cephalexin for superficial phlebitis. Noticed blood in semen. Reason for testicle and abdominal pain?

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9587 Questions
Hi. Three weeks ago I was diagnosed with superficial phlebitis by my doctor to which they prescribed Cephalexin which I took for two weeks and I am better. A week into it I saw blood in my semen when I ejaculated. The doctor took blood and urine tests, both came back clean. My semen was fine on my next ejaculation. In the last few days i have had a dull pain in my left testicle and my stomach feels bloated and I'm somewhat constipated. I'm usually pretty active and I work out 3-4 times a week. Before being diagnosed with superficial phlebitis I had pulled my groin playing soccer as I've done many times in the past. I don't know if this dull pain in my left testicle is due to the inflammation in my leg and my groin... I also noticed that my ejaculations aren't as strong as they were before I started feeling some pain in my left testicle. It's not a sharp pain, it's more like a discomfort, slight pressure. My doctor didn't feel any lumps or abnormalities and I had my prostate checked which she said was fine. What could be the cause? Is it my groin? Why does my lower left abdomen hurt and why do I feel like I can't pass gas?
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later

Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have pain in your left testicle and lower abdomen on left side.

Looking at the nature of the pain it is most likely to be due to Varicocele on left side.

However this can be confirmed only on clinical examination and following preliminary investigations.
1) Routine Urine Test
2) Ultrasound scanning of the abdomen and scrotum
3) Colour Doppler study of the scrotum.

As regards blood in the semen (Hematospermia) it is due to infection in seminal vesicle which can be ruled out with above tests.

Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical assessment and regarding these tests, if he thinks it necessary and appropriate get them done with his advice.

Further treatment will depend upon the findings of these tests and will be decided by him.

Do not worry this will get cured with medicine.

Hope I have answered your query.
Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Took cephalexin for superficial phlebitis. Noticed blood in semen. Reason for testicle and abdominal pain? 3 hours later
It's Saturday April 20th and I don't have an appointment until Thursday April 25th... Should I go sooner? Am I risking by letting time go by? How does this affect fertility? If I was to have Varicocele, does this mean I have to deal with this for the rest of my life? Will only surgery cure it? Or will an antibiotic take care of it? Is this the reason why my ejaculations haven't been as "strong" as before? Can sperm be backed up and cause this discomfort I feel? I had an ultrasound done on my groin and awaiting the results. Will they be able to see the Varicocele? Or would they have to do an ultrasound on my testicles? I'm worried, I want to have a family and after reading about Varicocele they mention infertility... I hope you can answer all my questions. Thanks
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Thanks for follow up.
I will answer all your queries point to point.

1) You can certainly wait till 25th April. There is no urgency to get all tests done immediately.
2) Varicocele does not cause infertility in each and every patient.
3) Varicocele in a man who is being investigated for infertility is given a due consideration as a cause of infertility and treated with surgery.
4) Antibiotic has no role in treating Varicocele.
5)You have mentioned your ejaculation being weak. I have not understood it it clearly. Do you mean to say erection or ejaculation.?
6)Sperm never get blocked and cause pain.
7) Varicocele is always confirmed by Colour Doppler Study.

Hope I have answered your queries. Feel free to ask if you have any more queries. I shall be happy to address the same.

Thanks and Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Took cephalexin for superficial phlebitis. Noticed blood in semen. Reason for testicle and abdominal pain? 43 hours later
I meant that when I ejaculate it doesn't come out with as much force as it used to.

Also, I went to the doctor today but she didn't mention anything about me having varicocele but I am still worried that it might be that. I am still having trouble passing gas and I still feel bloated. Also, it hurts if I press down on my mid back,kidney area. What does this mean? I am not having trouble urinating and when I had the urinalysis it came back clean.

Should I see a urologist? I don't have insurance :(
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 12 hours later

Thanks for follow up.

Force of the ejaculation has no significance at all.

Varicocele can be better judged or diagnosed by a qualified Urologist who deals with such cases routinely.

Rest of your problems can be diagnosed on ultrasound scanning.

Thanks and Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor