Took azithromycin and cough syrup for fever, cough and sore throat. Which medicine can help?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Sat, 7 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: HI, im having a little fever and cough and sour throut, I hv taken azithromycin 3 tablets and taking cough serup but no improvement i have also taken ibruphin, I need can you tell me good table along with acid as im in cambodia right now and do atleast i can ask medical for that acid.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Try omeprazole... Detailed Answer: Hi, I am not sure in what frequency did you use Azithromycin. Anyway antibiotics can induce gastritis and hyperacidity. You can use antacid syrups available at Cambodia three times a day before food. If you are unable to find a pharmacy that dispenses antacid, you can alternatively check for proton pump inhibitor like omeprazole (which is over the counter in most locations) - omeprazole 20mg tablets can be taken twice a day for a week to control hyeracidity. If none of the antacids / proton pump inhibitor are available, you can try home made preparation - a teaspoon of baking soda mixed with a glass of warm water; milk and yoghurt. As far as fever, cough and sore throat is concerned, if fever is not high grade (temperature above 100 deg F), I would suggest you to observe with only paracetamol tablets along with XXXXXXX warm salt water gargles. Avoid spicy food; sleep well; drink lots of fluids and rest well. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow up: Dr. Prasad 4 minutes later
Hi took oen tablet of azithromycin per day and took precitatmol today along with cough surup, I rem about novaclox which my family dr used to give me when i get same symtoms earlier, can u suggest what acid that has, and novaclox is used for which purpose, omeprazol is for wht purpose?? heyperaciidty symtoms??
Answered by Dr. Prasad 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: Novaclox is an antibiotic... Detailed Answer: Hi, I apologize if my previous answer was not clear. Let me try again and answer your questions.. As I understand, you are looking for treatment of acid (acidity) which can commonly occur with antibiotics along with treatment of fever, cough and sore throat. Correct me if any of my statement is wrong in the next follow up. 1. Novaclox is an antibiotic containing amoxicillin and cloxacillin. It has similar potency and spectrum as azithromycin. I personally prefer azithromycin over novaclox for bacterial upper respiratory tract infections since it is a single dose tablet. 2. Both novaclox and azithromycin can cause abdominal pain secondary to hyperacidity. If you have this complaint, omeprazole and antacid medications will help. 3. Acids has no medical use in treating mild fever, cough and sore throat. Most often as the cause is viral, it resolves spontaneously. It may take up to a week before you feel alright. Therefore I recommend you to continue paracetamol and cough syrup such as benadryl. Use XXXXXXX warm salt water gargling. Plenty of rest and water will also benefit you. I expect you to feel better with paracetamol, benadryl, warm gargling, omeprazole, plenty of rest and water. If this regiment fails to treat you over period of 5 days or if you develop a high grade fever, you are encourage to consult a physician nearby. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow up: Dr. Prasad 3 minutes later
Hi THanks, Sorry for confusing you , by acid what i meant is that content in novaclox not that I havea any hyperscidity, I only have a mild fever and sour cough .... As you suggested it will take time, i will keep taking the paracetamol and benadryl, if there is any other thing you can suggest for fast relief??
Answered by Dr. Prasad 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Zinc containing vitamins.... Detailed Answer: Hi, Your query is much clear now... Viral flu infections resolve spontaneously. Unless a patient is immunocompromised, common flu infection on an average resolve in 3-5 days time. Rarely symptoms can prolong over 7-10 days. Both novaclox and azithromycin can only take care of bacterial infection. So if your symptoms are just 3 days old, I would encourage you to continue paracetamol, benadryl and gargling. Zinc containing vitamins such as zincovit or Z&D help by boosting immunity. You may take this one pill a day for few days. As you follow the above regimen, please take note of few symptoms: 1. Temperature persistently above 100 deg F 2. Symptoms going over a week 3. Cough with excessive sputum production 4. Inability to eat and swallow You will need to discuss with your local physician or update me if you any of the above is positive or develop any new symptoms. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards