Took augmentin for sinus infection and bronchitis. Noticed swollen lymph node. Should I be worried?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in Infections
Question: 6 weeks ago, I had the flu which triggered a sinus infection and then bronchitis. The augmentin I was on for the sinus infection caused a C. Diff infection. I finished the 10 day course of flagyl last week and am finally starting to feel better, except I am more tired than usual. My question is, throughout this whole ordeal, I've had a few swollen lymph nodes. They are still swollen. Do I need to see the doctor again for this/does this indicate a more serious problem or lingering infection? Or is this a temporary problem and generally when can I expect them to return to normal?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Normally when the lymph are enlarged and it is thought to be due to a benign reason such as infection , then a 4 week waiting period is considered appropriate.
The initial size of the lymph nodes would have been noted and they are reassessed after this time frame has elapsed.
Since it has been 6 weeks from the beginning of your infection and they are still present, though they may be regressing in size, it may be prudent to have them assessed by your doctor.

In general lymph are more likely to be benign if (1) they are less than 1 cm in size
(2) if they are soft. Hard nodes are thought to be of malignant origin

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions