Took antibiotic for pleural effusion and pleural thickening. Feeling heaviness in lung. What should I do?

Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have a pleural effusion 4 years ago along with pleural thickening. Doctor did chest x-rays and CT scan. He gave me anti-biotic and dat time its gone. But last few days i feel heaviness in left lungs. its a irregular pain in my back. It happens alwz afte my meal. I never been to doctor. Now i feel dizziness n tiredness n pain in my left hand.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the cause of pleural effusion in past.
Pleural thickening is very difficult to treat with antibiotics as it indicates formation of fibrosis and scar at affected site.

With the available described symptomatology, there appears to be possibilities reappearance of pleural fluid, pancreatitis, pleural pathology, or muscle sprain.
Presence of backache with aggravation after meals favors pancreatitis.
Lung heaviness may due to pleural effusion or asthma.
The exact diagnosis can be made only after clinical examination.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist and should go for thorough check up.
You should go for repeat chest x XXXXXXX Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR), complete hemogram, serum amylase, thoraco-lumbar spine x XXXXXXX and ultrasound imaging of abdomen.

You should take analgesics along with muscle relaxants for relief of your symptoms.
Let me know the result of prescribed investigations.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava