Took antibiotic for influenza and pneumonia. Feeling fatigue and lung soreness. Any cure?

Dr. Nsah Bernard

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: i had influenza and pneumonia a few weeks ago and am still feeling the effects. I am 41, healthy, but still feel extreme fatigue and lung soreness and pain. I am in Utah and it is very cold outside right now, with single digits and below zero temperatures. There is also very unclean air, so I have stayed indoors. My husband, and Orthopod, is thinking this recovery is taking quite a while. Am I doing the right thing? I should add that before I became ill with influenza/pneumonia the end of December, I had already been ill with another virus and was physically run down from staying up late to finish Christmas preparations.
Thank you,
XXXXXXX

i have been treated with two antibiotics (whether or not they helped) and a six day course of steroids. I also had fluid in my right ear which moved to my eustacian tube and is still bothering me. I would like to get on with my life, but am afraid of over-doing, or going into crowded places, such as church and getting sick again.
I was on a Zpac and then another, stronger antibiotic for 7 days. It started with an F. I hope this information helps. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thank you for the query.

If you were treated for influenza flu and typical pneumonia for up to 7 days (usually appropriate to give course of antibiotics for 10 days), then you should expect some net improvement with a couple of days. But what you should also expect are some slight symptoms such as mild fatigue, lung soreness or mild chest pain, mild cough, no flu syndrome, and very little or no respiratory symptoms that normally should all subside with a week or two. If persistence, then we are dealing with atypical pneumonia. You have been placed on zpac which should normally deal with atypical germs.

To me, if there is net improvement of symptoms, then your treatment is effective and you should just give yourself a couple of days to recover fully.
Respiratory kinesitherapy is very helpful and will accelerate improvement. Eat well, sleep well and worry less.

If you feel you are not fine despite this,I would urge you to pay a visit to your doctor. Pneumonia can cause dreadful symptoms which need to be identified and treated early. Therefore if symptoms are not better than what it was earlier, it would be ideal to visit a doctor. .

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any clarifications.

Dr Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad