Owl Image

Took antibiotic for cough. Felt lump in throat, ear pain and cough. Cause of these symptoms?

Critical Care Specialist
Question
Since October I've had an on-going infection that has now flared up for weeks - finished antibiotic because of thick XXXXXXX mucous and bad "choking" type cough - now ear hurts, more cough, and now upper respiratory too - sinus...don't think I've had a fever? But throat is now main symptom as hurts a lot, large "lump" feeling, hard to swallow - that started just after finished antibiotic
Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX.
Presently your main problems are;
Ear ache, pain and lump feeling in throat and cough.
Most probably, you had pharyngitis which was not completely treated and has spread to ear and upper respiratory tract that is larynx and trachea.Difficulty in swallowing and lump feeling is due to pharyngitis.Pharyngitis most probably has not responded to the antibiotics you have taken.
I would suggest you to consult an ENT surgeon who will be able to examine your throat and ear.He/she may take throat swab for culture sensitivity.
Besides antibiotic (after culture sensitivity) you may need antihistaminics, decongestant and analgesics anti inflammatory drugs(pain killer).
Hope I have answered your question.
Let me know if you have any more queries.
Get well soon.
Dr Sadiq