Took antibiotic for acne. Any effective treatment to get cured?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Acne
Question: hi,
I am having these acne problem since 2 years. Initially I had taken many antibiotics like azibact 500 as prescribed by some doctor .And slowly the pimples get healed up but leaving redness. But from past 1 year the pimples have become so prominent on my face ,not even healed up and leave red marks on face .I have this acne problem only on cheeks which have become red with small pimples sometimes.At present I m using Saslic D face wash,azibact as an antibiotic,tretinoin cream U.S.P in night before going to bed and Benzoyl Peroxide Gel B.P.No doubt this medication helped but pimples reoccur.My skin has become so sensitive and acne prone.Its been 3-4 months with this medication.Please advise how to deal with it as redness still persists and pimplease also return.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 10 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
Acne is a hormonal problem and it should be treated accordingly.
Before advising you I would like to know-

Do you have acne more in upper part of the face or more on jaw line?
Since when you have this?
Are they persistent or they come and go?
Do you have any menstrual disturbances?
Do you have any other problems weight issues/excessive hair growth/hair loss etc?

Answer the questions and upload the photographs and we can continue the discussion here.
Till the time you can continue the treatment given to you.
Awaiting your response.

Dr Sudarshan
dermatologist

Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later
I have the acne problem more in upper part of face aroundnose on both sides.The red marks of pimples still persists in that area .And the pimples come and go but leave the marks behind.The acne problem started in 2010.But at that time pimples come and go but from past one year that area on face which i told you has become acne prone and become red also. And wherever i get a pimple on my face leaves a red spot after getting healed.No I dont have any menstrual disturbances, weight issues/excessive hair growth/hair loss .
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi again,
Thanks for details.

Its good that you dont have any of these signs of hormonal acne.
You can use brevoxyl creamy face it is very good.
Also you can use Nexret (0.04%)gel at night time over pimples and scars.
Hope this helps.
Also you can start on minocycline antibiotic it wil help in acne and redness.
If you are using any other fairness or other cosmetic products please stop them.
You can discuss the option of isotretinoin with your dermatologist.
A 3 month course of Isotretinoin will help to keep your face clean for years together.
Also consider the option of microdermabrasion and chemical peeling for spots and scars.They are available at dermatology clinic.
As you have not uploaded photos ,further specific advise cannot be given.

If you have any further queries do let me know.