Took anti rabies vaccination. Any side effect?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Infections
Question: Hi i am XXXXXXX . I have Pet in my home. i think vaccination is done , but for safe precaution . 3rd day i had started anti rabies course. and Day 2 i had taken TT (Before 24 hr's). now i am in Anti rabies course . if i am not infected with virus is there any side affects ?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 30 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Anti-rabies vaccination has some documented side effects. But these are not seen in all patients. In our clinical experience, we rarely have such patients. But, considering the risk of Rabies infection, these side effects are given very little importance. And most importantly, in most of the cases, the side effects are not long-lasting.

During the course of vaccination, you may experience chills, dizziness, generalized body weakness, headache, itching, mild fever, stomach pain, tiredness, and many more. These are very mild and you do not need to stop the vaccination for these.

Severe allergic reactions (rash, itching, difficulty in breathing, tightness in the chest, swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue), difficulty in swallowing, hoarseness, joint or muscle pain, numbness or tingling, pain, redness, or swelling at the injection site, paralysis - if you experience any of these symptoms, consult with your treating doctor immediately. Your treating doctor has to determine about continuation of the vaccine.

One more point is the mortality rate of Rabies infection is very much high. So, to be on safe side you should continue the vaccine.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more questions.

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later
My Question is basic symptoms of Rabies. ?
I had taken TT injection in 24 hr's .After 72 hrs i started vaccination for rabies (rabies is suspected me not conformed) safe side i started this .

If rabies is there with this anti rabies vaccination any use ,because i started after 72 hours right ?

i am going for rabies antibody test tomorrow . report will come after 2 days .

Can you suggest me any other tested or this rabies antibody test is ok ?

Please give me the answers for all questions point by point .
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 49 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

I can understand your concern. I am giving the answers point by point.

1.     Basically, patients infected by rabies virus, first experiences a flu like disease condition followed by appearance of symptoms like paralysis, anxiety, insomnia, confusion, agitation, abnormal behavior, paranoia, terror, and hallucinations, delirium. Basically, central nervous system is affected. So, these are the basic symptoms of rabies.

2.     Look, TT injection does not provide any protection from rabies. It just prevents secondary infection. The time between injury caused by the dog and starting ant rabies vaccine is very important. It should be as early as possible. But, clinically, it is not possible to say that you are infected only depending on that time period.

3.     Look, the dog’s teeth touched your existing wound. So, there may be contamination by the saliva of the dog. It is categorized as Category 3 exposure. In this condition, anti-rabies vaccine and anti-rabies immunoglobulin should be started together. If there is any infection before starting the vaccination, then vaccination will not help, but immunoglobulin will provide protection.

4.     Look, the reference test to detect any infection is PCR test specific for rabies. But, in diagnosis, incubation period is important. In rabies it varies widely from 2 weeks to 6 years or more. So, a negative antibody test does not rule out possibility of future disease. But a successful vaccination and immunoglobulin therapy reduce the risk to very low level.

So, consult with your treating doctor about the immunoglobulin therapy.

I have a suggestion for you beside those mentioned above. You mentioned that the dog was a pet dog and was vaccinated. Watch the dog for 10 days. If there is no abnormality in that dog, within this time period, then there is very low chance of infection.

Regards.