Took amoxicillin for sore throat and cold. Have dry nasal congestion. Reason for low platelet?

Posted on Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: i had sore throat and cold starting 14 feb for which i had amocyllin 500 + Allegra 120 twice a day(morning and evening) till 19 feb. After 19 feb i have stopped taking these medications because cold and sore throat disappeared. Today i have platelet count 0000, and fever 99.5f , weakness, a little dry nasal congestion, in the last week i have had mild night sweat. platelet count yesterday was 0000. please help me, why my platelet is low ? im 27 year male . No history of any disease/surgery/anything. (attached image is of today)
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 41 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Platelet count is normally between 0000 to 400 000, with some minor lab variation.
A low platelet count is called thrombocytopenia and can occur in benign conditions such as viral illness, the most common viral illness associated with low platelets is dengue however it can be associated other viral illness. They cause the low count mainly through decreased production though there may also be increased destruction of platelets.
In the absence of any known illnesses the low count may be related to the viral illness that you are now experiencing ( the weakness, nasal congestion and fever).

If you live in a region where dengue occurs, your doctor may consider screening you for this illness, which involves a blood test.
He or she would also suggest repeating the full blood count to monitor the level of platelet count.

Determining the level after your acute illness has resolved will determine whether there is any relation to these current problems.
If it remains low after all your symptoms have resolved then further investigations would be warrented.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James