Took U-72 after unprotected sex. Got period and missed for next month. Chances of pregnancy?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: me and my bf genital area touched for 10 second "without any ejaculation and intercourse". after that he ejaculated and he was wearing breif andi was wearing panty on 23 nov.but still i took U-72 on 24 nov within 24 hrs. and my previous periods were on 31 oct and i got my periods on 1 dec. but till now ,my periods haven't come yet.i haven't experienced any symptom . i took home pregnancy test yesterday and it was NEGATIVE. is there still any chance of me getting pregnant?? my question are??
1> is there any chance of ectopic or tubal pegnancy in my case??
2> only our genital area was in contact without any intercourse and ejaculation,is tubal pregnancy still possible??
3>i am having pain in my abdomen in right side ....parallel to belly...is that due to ectopic or tubal pregnancy??
please help me please i am worried
please help me ...m really worried
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 51 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

I can understand your concern. I am giving your answers one by one. Just stay calm.

1.     Your pregnancy tests using urine is negative. It excludes the chance of pregnancy. “Pregnancy” means any type of pregnancy – intrauterine / ectopic. Because, irrespective of the site of pregnancy, Beta- HCG level will increase which will give a positive pregnancy test result. So, there is very low chance of ectopic pregnancy.

For confirmation you should do a beta HCG level in blood. If its level is low then you are confirmed that you have no pregnancy. Look, I know, that there is very low chance of pregnancy, but it is a protocol.

2.     Your genital areas were covered with clothes. That means there was no chance of entry of sperm in the vagina. So, there is very low chance of pregnancy.

3.     No. The pain you are experiencing is not due to ectopic pregnancy. It is due to something else. It may be due to your period that is due.

Look, your menstrual history suggests an irregularity. I think you should be investigated for that thing specially. There is a very high chance of polycystic ovarian syndrome. So, go for an ultrasound scan to detect any abnormality.

Right now, you need to consult with a gynecologist for clinical examination and for ordering the required investigations. A progesterone challenge is necessary to induce period in the absence of pregnancy. If that fails, dilatation and curettage should be considered.

Lastly, consult with a gynecologist immediately.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 50 minutes later
sir
i consulted with gynecologist.she also said there is no chance of pregnancy,but still i heard about the symptoms of ectopic pregnancy like lower abdominal pain or pelvis pain and low back pain.

and i am having pain in my right side of abdomen slightly upper to belly...that is why i am more concern

second thing i sir,what are the cause of ectopic pregancy???

and at my age (age=20)...is ectopic pregnancy possible when there is no intercourse,penetration and ejaculation..and after that i had pill too....within 24 hrs??

please reply...thank you.....gynecologst have written ultrasound for lower abdomen and pelvis ....but i am having no pain in my pelvis...

please help please
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 27 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, i donot know, who told you about ectopic pregnancy. I just wanted to tell you that in case of ectopic pregnancy there will be secretion of a hormone - human chorionic gonadotrophin hormon ( HCG) as like of normal pregnancy.

The pregnancy tests detects this HCG hormone in urine. Now, tell me do you think you have ectopic pregnancy in spite of having a negative pregnancy test ? Do not listen to common people. Try to believe doctors.

There are many causes of ectopic pregnancy like anatomical abnormality, idiopathic, OCP use,and many more. But i think, you do not need to think about that.

Just do an ultrasound scan and go to the gynecologist for further management.

Regarding the pelvis ultrasound, the genital organs like ovaries, fallopian tubes, uterus are present in pelvis. If you do not do Ultrasound scan of pelvis, then how could we know about the conditions of these organs?

So, follow your treating doctor, that is the only way.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 24 hours later
sir i got my ultrasound report of pelvic region ...all part are normal except ovaries...it says

"BOTH OVARIES ARE ILDLY ENLARGED,SHOW MULTIPLE FOLLICIES OF SIMILAR SIZE ARRANGED NEAR PERIPHERY WITH EVIDENCE OF ECHOGENIC STROMA"

SIZE OF RIGHT OVARY-3.95*2.09*3.67CMS VOL-15.91ML
SIZE OF LEFT OVARY- 3.6*1.8*3.3 CMS VOL-11.10ML

SIR MY QUESTION IS IF BOTH OF MY OVARY ARE ENLARGED ,THEN WHY AM I HAVING PAIN IN ONLY MY RIGHT SIDE???

SECOND ,THE FINAL REPORT SAYS "BILATERAL POLYCYSTIC OVARIAN DISEASE"
WHAT DOES THIS MEANS????

THIRD,DOES MY ULTRASOUND REPORT RULES OUT THE PREGNANCY AND ECTOPIC PREGNANCY....OR IS THERE STILL ANY CHANCE?

DOES PCOD CAUSE MISSED PERIOD AND PAIN IN ABDOMEN???

REGARDS,
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 26 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

I think, you did not read my previous answer properly. I have already suspected this disease and told you that in your first question.

And your ultrasound scan supports my suspicion.

Now, i am giving the answers of your questions one by one.

The pain you are experiencing may be caused by your due period. It is not very important.I think you should focus on the disease proper.

Look, polycystic ovarian syndrome is a disease condition where the main problem is in hormonal balance. It is a serious disease. You have to be treated meticulously. Otherwise, it may lead to infertility.

Yes, the ultrasound scan has ruled out the chance of ectopic pregnancy.

Look, in PCOS, the main symptom is irregularity in period. This is irregular menstruation not a missed period.

Consult with a gynecologist for clinical examination, for ordering investigations and also for further management.

Regards.