Owl Image

Took HCG shots for low AMH level. Had intercourse. Should I go for blood test?

Owl Image
Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Question
Hello Doc:

We are in the process of starting a family. I frequetly missed my periods before wedding. I started my treatment post wedding ...and came to know last month that my AMH is 0.71 with other tests normal. I had a growing folicle and hence was put under study. I took and HCG on 13th and since the folicle didnot rupture, I took another shot on 15th. The study on 17th showed no folicle. I was in touch with my husband on all the say, sat, sunday and monday. I studied that since the hcg level would be high as it is due to the injections, I should go for a blood test to get the accurate results. wanted to check with you, when can I go for the blood test and what is the name of this test.
Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Getting Pregnant

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Your AMH LEVELS are on the lower side of normal.So there may be less chances of the follicle to grow adeqately enough to rupture.
If you have been taking hormone injections then any blood tests you would do now would be false positive/negative.If you took Inh HCG on day 13,15 then the follicle should have ruptured by now.But if it hasnt ruptured by now,the chances of it happening are low.Im not sure which blood test you want to do,but a beta hcg blood test need not be done now,as the results would be false.If your follicle hasnt ruptured by now,then chances are that this cycles is useless.

Follow-up: Took HCG shots for low AMH level. Had intercourse. Should I go for blood test? 10 minutes later
Hello Doc:

I think I was not clear in the earlier email. The follicle has ruptured per the ultrasound on the 17th. We had intercourse on 15th, the day i took the injection, 16th and 17th. I want to check for pregnancy. I read that the urine test will not give accurate results as the hcg level would be high due to the injections I took. I want to know if I can go for the beta blood test to confirm the pregnancy.

Please confirm.

thanks

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 40 minutes later
Ok,i understand what you mean now.Well, the beta HCG blood test wont be accurate so soon after ovulation.It should be done only after 2 weeks after ovulation,and even better after missed period.Basically what i mean to say,is that, doing that test now,wont give you accurate results.Wait at least 2 weeks after ovulation.