Took EC pill after a unprotected sex. Not getting proper period. Pregnant?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy
Question: My husband & I had unprotected sex We usually hv withdrawal method bt once he wasnt sure so I had taken EC pill jst tht moment itself Nxt day too he had the prob bt since we had taken 1 pill previous day we had nt taken another Bt now my cycle has nt fully started. I had a small bleed yestday bt thats it. amt of blood was not even close to the 1st day amt & nw its stopped Pls advise if i need 2 take ne prgnancy tst & best method now & means to abort immediately.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX,
thanks for the query.
Although you have not mentioned the dates of unprotected sex and your bleed date ,but it appears that the chances of pregnancy are less as you took EC pill,the very next day and you had bleed on two days.
However to be on safer side,you may get the pregnancy test done to confirm the absence or presence.
In case the pregnancy is confirmed,then one can act accordingly.
Kindly get the pregnancy test done and we can discuss about it after the test result.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 minutes later
We had unprotected sex on 17th Nov and 18th. I had the pill (remover 72 or something) immediately after sex on 17th. My periods were due on 25th, but only on 26th there was very small amount of bleed and absolutely nothing later till now. Now I have severe pain in my legs, lower back and abdominal area. I am really worried that i would be pregnant. If i have to take home pregnancy test then pls suggest if it can be bought OTC, and what is the chance of the result being authentic. Also can I take any pain killers now.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
The chances for pregnancy can be there although minimal.
You can give her pain killers like IBUPROFEN 400 mg three times a day for few days
You can buy pregnancy kits from the chemist but see to it that they are of good company and not torn and well within expiry date.
Use first urine sample of morning as this is concentrated and gives proper result.
Repeat the test after a week,if negative.
You may even get blood HCG test done to be more sure.
If all of them are negative,then you are sure that you don't have pregnancy.

Revert to me if there is any other query.
Thanks