Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Tongue become sensitive to touch and food. Had pneumonia. Got haemoglobin test. Any treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9400 Questions
My tongue has become overly sensitive to touch and food. Taste is distorted. I originally thought it was thrush and was treated for it but it has been six weeks and still sore. There is a long oval area that is very red and seems to be the affected area. I am not usually sensitive to spicy foods but now wvweything seems to cause discomfort. I have just recovered from pneumonia. My hemoglobin level is at 9.2 and my iron is at 20. Otherwise, this is the first time in 7 years I have been sick at all.
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 37 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

From the details provided it appears as though you are suffering from anemia. The normal range of hemoglobin is considered to be between 11-15 gm%. But for women it is required to be between 13-15 gm%. This means you are anemic. Also, the normal range of iron in women should be: 50-170 μg/dL; this also means you have an iron deficiency. You will require correction of the iron deficiency anemia. Although, in some cases this iron deficiency anemia can also cause the soreness in the oral cavity (the mouth); in addition to this there could be a deficiency of vitamins B9 and/or B12 as well, which are the most common causes of oral ulcers and soreness/ripeness.

Please visit a doctor and request for testing of these two vitamin levels, and accordingly follow it up with supplementation of vitamins (preferably B complex and iron containing supplements).

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Please do write back to me for any further clarifications, and I would be happy to help you.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor