Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Toddler suffering from angelman's syndrome. What treatment should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Critical Care
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 208 Questions
Hi, what advice can you give me about minding a 20 month old with XXXXXXX mans syndrome. If she has all her seizure medication taken but still gets a seizure what do I do?
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Tejas Shah 36 minutes later
Many thanks for posting your query here.

I will be glad to assist you.

Angelman's syndrome is a very rare genetic condition, with patients having severe intellectual, speech, and developmental disability along with seizures.

Because of these disabilities, it may pose challenges in minding them with respect to behavior, feeding, toileting etc. They would need greater one to one attention as compared to other kids you may be having.

With regards to seizures, usually you would get a copy of letter from GP or hospital doctor regarding what medications she is on, dose, timing etc.

If she gets a break-through seizure:
1. Make sure she is safe, away from sharp furniture/kitchen area/water tanks etc
2. Lie her down in right or left side-up position (lateral position)
3. If seizures last more than 5 minutes, please dial emergency ambulance number for help
4. If you have been trained to give rescue medicines, please administer them as per instructions if seizures are continuing more than 5 minutes
5. Observe her during seizures for breathing/skin colour etc
6. Once seizures have terminated, they are usually drowsy for a period of 30-60 minutes (monitor them closely during this time, feed her once fully conscious)
7. Please keep parents informed

I hope I have able to resolve your query. Should you have any further queries, please do revert to me.

Regards and all the best
Dr Tejas Shah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor