Toddler has white patches on face. What treatment should be done?

Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Question: My baby is 15 weeks and she stopped nursing, won't take any formula, she is loosing weight. She has white patches on her face since one month, does she need worm treatment ( as I has to to take the worm treatment because I was infected) please advise. She goes on Brest for two or three minutes 6 times a day, when I pump and give she is not drinking that either, she is not teething , fussy all the night recently, she was sleeping all the night previously, but now wakes up every hour, I think she is having worms, if so what should I do, she is like this since the white patches visible on her face, I explained this to my Gp twice and hospital doctor once and they checked her ears and said she is fine and seems ok. But she is not feeding at all,
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX,

I agree your baby may have thread worm infestation. It usually
present with loss of appetite and disturbed sleep due to pesistant discomforts in the stomach, child may suffer with anaemia. The child may have rash on the face due to urticaria.

You can check by looking baby's bottom with a light. Do not worry, all the above problems are completely treatable. The best thing is to take the baby to a Paeditrician who will examine the stool for ova, cyst and parasite and prescribe appropriate medications.

Please contact me if you have any query.

Kindest regards Dr.S.K.Mukherjee