Today my gynecologist suggested HPV vaccines (3 doses) during post

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2015
Mar 2015
Excellent

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine
Question
Today my gynecologist suggested HPV vaccines (3 doses) during post pregnancy checkup. Wife had delivery on 12 Aug 17.Both baby boy and mother doing well.She was told today that she can start the first dose anytime from now,2nd dose after 2 months,3rd dose after 6 months.Could you please tell me the necessity and side effects of this vaccines.
My wife current age is 29 and it is the first delivery.Is it effective in this age range?
Sun, 4 Feb 2018 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not recommended

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
HPV vaccine is effective fully only if taken before the first intercourse.
Once the lady has intercourse and childbirth, the efficacy of this vaccine reduces significantly and hence not recommended in this period.
So, in my opinion, this vaccine is not necessary for your wife and is unlikely to be completely effective in the current scenario.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Maternal and fetal medicine specialist