Tobacco user. Getting pain in chin. How to get relief?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, I have been dipping tobacco for about 4 years. I noticed a pain in my lower left chin s I quit for one month. The pain went away shortly after stopping. I unfortunately started back 2 weeks ago and the pain has come back. I haven't dipped in a couple of days (very hard). The pain can be described as a dull pain with the slightest touch to my chin. The harder I press the doesn't really cause more pain. I can just brush my beard and I can sense a dull pain. I have an apt with an ENT on Monday. What should I till him to look for?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 48 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. If you share a clear close-up image by everting your lower lip, it will be possible to give you an accurate assessment.

2. In addition to your symptoms mentioned above, do you have any bleeding or ulceration inside your lower lip? I doubt whether the oro-antral fistula after the wisdom tooth removal has nay relation to this.

3. Dipping tobacco irritates the delicate mucosa lining the inside of the lower lip and gums. The dull pain could be due to chronic irritation or mild infection or inflammation.

4. Though there is a potential for cancer, it is rare for early cancer to cause pain unless there is ulceration. You may get a punch biopsy or use a Oral CDx brush biopsy to check for any cancerous change.

5. It is good to hear that you managed to quit for a month in between. You should try again.

6. Your ENT specialist should look for leukoplakia, laceration, lumps, discoloration, ulceration, bleeding or friability of the inner lip. he should also inspect the site of the oro-antral fistula. Then further investigations may be decided upon.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.