Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Tobacco user. Getting pain in chin. How to get relief?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2545 Questions
Hi, I have been dipping tobacco for about 4 years. I noticed a pain in my lower left chin s I quit for one month. The pain went away shortly after stopping. I unfortunately started back 2 weeks ago and the pain has come back. I haven't dipped in a couple of days (very hard). The pain can be described as a dull pain with the slightest touch to my chin. The harder I press the doesn't really cause more pain. I can just brush my beard and I can sense a dull pain. I have an apt with an ENT on Monday. What should I till him to look for?
Posted Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 48 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. If you share a clear close-up image by everting your lower lip, it will be possible to give you an accurate assessment.

2. In addition to your symptoms mentioned above, do you have any bleeding or ulceration inside your lower lip? I doubt whether the oro-antral fistula after the wisdom tooth removal has nay relation to this.

3. Dipping tobacco irritates the delicate mucosa lining the inside of the lower lip and gums. The dull pain could be due to chronic irritation or mild infection or inflammation.

4. Though there is a potential for cancer, it is rare for early cancer to cause pain unless there is ulceration. You may get a punch biopsy or use a Oral CDx brush biopsy to check for any cancerous change.

5. It is good to hear that you managed to quit for a month in between. You should try again.

6. Your ENT specialist should look for leukoplakia, laceration, lumps, discoloration, ulceration, bleeding or friability of the inner lip. he should also inspect the site of the oro-antral fistula. Then further investigations may be decided upon.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor