Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online

Tired, unbalanced, light headed, family history of heart problems. Should I get myself checked for cardio issues?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Infertility Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 3767 Questions
I am a 53 year old male, never any health problems that I am aware of, but there is family history of heart problems. My father had a heart attack in his 50's and had a very weak heart. Lately I have been feeling very tired and overall just not feeling up to par, slightly unbalanced and light headed. What type of doctor(s) should I see to get a comprehensive health check and check for any cardio issues?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later

Thank you for your query. I understand your concerns regarding family history of heart attacks. I appreciate your efforts for getting preventive health care. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

Following are my advice for you:

1) Please consult a physician and get general health check up done including pulse rate, blood pressure, cardiac system examination. Etc...

2) A complete blood count needs to be done to rule out anemia. A blood glucose level would also be required. So please get a fasting blood sugar check done. An assessment for anxiety and stress also needs to be done. In the meanwhile, you can try XXXXXXX breathing exercises and yoga to reduce stress

3) Consult an ophthalmologist to get a refractive error ruled out.

4) In the back ground of heart attack history in family, please get an ECG (Electrocardiogram) done by a physician to know any ischemic changes in the heart. It also is advisable to get a tread mill test done if there are any changes in the ECG.

I hope I have answered your query. I shall be available for the follow-up queries. Please accept my answer if you have no other queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Tired, unbalanced, light headed, family history of heart problems. Should I get myself checked for cardio issues? 1 hour later
1. What kind of doctor should I consult, a GP, XXXXXXX Medicine, cardiologist, etc. for your answers in No. 1 and No. 2 and No. 4? Is there one specialist that would conduct all these tests?

The UT Medical Branch is right here in Houston, what kind of doctors should I make an appointment with for everything you have suggested? Most of the doctors are all in the same building and I could make an appointment with them all in the same day.

2. Why an ophthalmologist to get a refractive error?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 21 minutes later

1) Please visit XXXXXXX medicine specialist. She/he will take care of problems in answer 1, 2 and 4.

2) Sometimes the refractive power of eye changes with age and simple refractive error leads to light headed, unbalanced feeling and dizziness. Since you are 53 year old, refractive changes might have set in. Hence have an appointment with ophthalmologist.

So since you are getting treated on appointment in one place, please see following doctors:

- XXXXXXX medicine consultant
- Ophthalmologist

I would be happy to answer if you have any more queries. Please accept my answer if no further queries.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor