Tingling sensation all over body, feeling nausea with loose bowel. Cancer?

Dr. Piyush Ostwal

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in Head Injuries
Question: I have tingling (no pain or numbness) on my head , around mouth, my left arm and right foot fingers. right scholder stomach It started a week ago (12 december ) with just my head (next to the left ear) and then gradually around most of mouth, my right hand and left foot fingers.

Before this happened , a week before I have noticed that my last 3 fingers of my left foot were tingling and had a burning sensation. Same tingling was on my head but was very mild.

I should mention that this is my second “tingling event” First one was at the end of August 2012. Then on my second day of tingling I saw my family doctor. His suggestion was to wait and see if it gets worse and return within 2 weeks. I didn’t go back as everything was fine. 
Before the first event there was a little discomfort on my right foot when at rest before sleep where I usually bend my foot at 90 degrees under my left foot. This is true even now.
Right now I can feel discomfort on my right shoulder as well and on my stomach. My stool is been loose. Although I do feel hungry I feel nausea (maybe because I am so stress out ) . Right now all I can think is a very serious condition like MS or some sort of cancer. Can you please comment in detail
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 22 hours later

From your description it appears that you have multiple sites over your body where you are feeling tingling sensation. The neurological problem which can cause such symptoms is cranial along with peripheral neuropathy. But you don't have any specific weakness and also no loss of sensation. This makes neuropathy very less likely. However test like neurologist at your place. It will give us an assurance that nerves are really healthy.

The other possibility is that you are under some stress and as you have also realized that underlying anxiety is causing some of your symptoms. In that case after neurologist's opinion you can XXXXXXX a psychiatrist who can look into more detail into your mental health and advice appropriate treatment.

Hope that answers your query. If there are more questions I will be happy to answer.
Good luck.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Piyush Ostwal 8 hours later
Thank you for your reply doctor.
My symptoms are much less present in the morning after a good sleep . However when I go to sleep I am a little dizzy and I do have some sort of weakness on my right hand but not at the extend of not controlling it or not to be able to have a good grip. Also my hands are cold most of the time.
Can you please detail this based on your experience
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 27 minutes later
Cold hands, feeling of dizziness are some of the symptoms associated with anxiety. Since your ability to grip with right hand is good and the weakness is only subjective, so you need not worry much about it.
Medication from psychiatrist should definitely be able to help you.
good luck.
Follow up: Dr. Piyush Ostwal 1 hour later
Thank you doctor for your input
Are there any blood tests that will indicate/ conclude any sign of serious condition in regard with my symptoms ?
I will have a doctor appointment and I want to be sure that I will ask for the right or additional tests.
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 1 hour later
The blood tests are really not required for your condition. What is more important is the history and examination by the doctor. You are not likely to be suffering from serious conditions like MS, cancer etc.
Good luck.
Follow up: Dr. Piyush Ostwal 43 minutes later
Thank you so much
Last 3 questions

1: If blood tests are not required then what else can a doctor do ? Are any other tests like MRI or other scans that will show or make a diagnosis more precise ? Or not even these are required

2. My tingling is NOT a feeling of needless or numbness is more like a discomfort. Very hard to describe. When is present around my mouth and I speak for instance this weird sensation is trying to make mouth movement hardener. Are you worried about this ? Does this suggests any other implications ?

3. Although is hard for me to go to sleep I have noticed that certain position in bed makes my tingling more or less evident. Sleeping on my back with a soft pillow seems to be the best solution. In the morning if I slept good I feel like new . Once I am up after 1-2 hour my burning sensation comes into my right toes , my right ear has the same burning sensation , my head has a little bit of tingling . In the afternoon my tingling is present into my belly as well and a fill a little bit dizzy. These tinglings are mode evident towards the sleeping time. Please, if you will, explain in as much detail as possible what do you think is going on ?
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 15 hours later
As I mentioned earlier nerve conduction study may be required depending on the assessment by the neurologist. MRI scan can rule out problems like MS.
The tingling and discomfort around mouth does not appear worrisome to me. The multiple symptoms that you are having are likely to be due to hyperalert state which is seen with anxiety. In such state attention is drawn to small physical symptoms which are otherwise ignored subconsciously by the body. The relaxation techniques in some form of meditation is also likely to be useful for you.
Good luck.