Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Tingling, numbness, pain in neck and back, Maxgalin and Maprosyn ineffective, MRI, NCS normal. What approach to take?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12749 Questions

I am having electric sensations or tingling sensation while standing or sitting in a particular position for long time where some part is pressured a little more.As an example when i am riding two wheeler for more than 5 min my palms will start having electric sensations and i have to shake the palms to have them back to normal.As these symptoms started a long back and due to the lack of diagnosis it became worse now and i am having the same sensation in the head now while sleeping and my sleep is also getting affected.The medications i took (Maxgabalin and Naprosyn) didnt helped.As my MRI,NCS tests were normal ,Please suggest how i should approach now.These problem has started before three years and continue to getting worse.Please help me in this regard and tell me what are the tests i should take to get all the details.Also from past three moths i started getting severe back and neck pain.

Thanks you.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
Your symptoms are related to nerve compression which causes tingling and numbness. Pain in neck and back are associated with it.
Your symptoms are suggestive of a nerve root compression at the cervical vertebral level and at lumbar spine level due to degenerative disc changes or ankylosing spondylosis. It happens primarily due to degenerative changes secondary to age in the spine. Past spinal injury may also contribute to the degeneration.

X-ray of neck and spine in lateral view or MRI will help in the diagnosis.

Treatment includes
1. Bed rest and immobilization of affected part brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
3. Methylcobalamin supplements are also recommended for nerve compression symptoms.
4. Cervical and back isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the muscles. Neck and back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
5. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
6. You can avoid using a pillow.

As you try these measures, I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Tingling, numbness, pain in neck and back, Maxgalin and Maprosyn ineffective, MRI, NCS normal. What approach to take? 1 hour later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks a lot for the reply.I have recently done xray for my lower back and neck and both came normal.Doctor suggested me to do physiotherapy related exercises.I am doing morning walk everyday but the problem still exists.I have done MRI and NCS two times one year back and they appeared normal.Doctor told that time that my problem is a psychological problem and i have to consult some psychologist.But when i have physical symptoms how can i ignore the and also it is getting more worse each day.It all started from the left leg when i felt strange sensations for few days after that it went to whole left part of my body.Please suggest me where i can do the treatment for this,I live in Bangalore.Is there any test which tells the Nerve compressions in the body.Also if it is something related to depression or anxiety how can i control that.Let me know if any information you want from me which may help you to identify the problem better.

Thanks a lot,

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
You are having nerve compression symptoms. X-rays are not able to detect the early changes. MRI of spine will be helpful in diagnosis.
Consult an orthopedician for prescription of appropriate medicines.
Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor