Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

139 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Tingling and swollen lips. Noticed redness after using cortizone 10 cream. Should I consult dermatologist?

Answered by
Dr. Kalpana Pathak


Practicing since :2006

Answered : 2015 Questions

Posted on Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My lips tingle and swell. I've tried all lip balms, some sting. My lips have been like this now for several months. They throb and feel like they r swelling. They burn sometime. I'm trying cortizone 10 cream on them now. I wake up all night having to put lip balm on or my lips feel like they are going to bust. I have redness around outside edges of lips sometimes. Should I go see dermatologist.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 16 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us
Your lip tingling and swelling could be due to
1) angioedema
2) allergic reaction to some lip balm, lipstick, some specific food.

I would like to know
1)since how long are you having it
2) if the swelling subsides spontaneously or has been persistent
3)if the swelling is associated with swollen tongue or breathing problem
Uploading an image of the concerned area would be helpful.

In the meanwhile continue with steroid cream and also take an oral antiallergic like cetirizine etc.

A consultation with a dermatologist is encouraged as you might need a course of prescription drugs including oral steroids and oral anti allergics.

Hoping to hear from you soon. Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Angioedema

doctor1 MD

I have angioedema, however, the redness, itching and discomfort I have been experiencing for the past week is growing worse and is only located on the outsides of both underarms. I take doxepin for the angioedema. I have been using three new prescription eye drops for cataract pre/post op: 1. Gatifloxacin 2. Lotemax and 3. Prolensa (my next op is 6/30/14 for my right eye). This new condition only began after my first cataract surgery on 6/16/14 and kept me awake most of last night. I am using neosporone on both sites. Thank you for any information you might offer. CW

doctor1 MD

I was diagnosed with chronic idiopathic angioedema about 2 years ago. It has been well controlled with antihistamines but it is back! I am VERY frustrated and scared. It has started to affect my breathing at times and I am terrified to leave the house without my epipen. I just ran across some info on h pylori and angioedema. Do any of you have any experience with angioedema and h pylori?

doctor1 MD

My 92 year old mother has pulmonary hypertension . The new drug her doctor wants can cause angioedema . What are the signs of angioedema & how can it be treated?

doctor1 MD

Hi Docs, I may have skin allergy(hive). Waiting for Ige test report. But whenever I used to in take allergy causing food ,I had to take medecine to avoid skin iching. This is about last night, I took normal chapati and ladyfinger dish in dinner....

doctor1 MD

Does lyrica interact with trazadone, sertaline or lisinopril as these are my other prescriptions?

doctor1 MD

my 16 month old daughter has angieodema, antihistermines are not making it any better. since shes been born she has always got bad laryngitus and loses her voice and often stops breathing when she cries so we have to blow in her face to make her breath. she is always coming out in a rash that is unexplained and doctors dont seem to know what it is. i was told yesterday it is angioedema, however nothing else was said. could the laryngitus be part of this? and how am i meant to help her when the antihistermines are not working

doctor1 MD

i have very bad knee pain and the bavk of my knee is swelling by the day...i cannot extend my knee fully at all. i walk. with a heavy limp and ache everyday with the pain it causes . is this a sign of Hereditary Angioedema and is it serious...the pain has been going on for at least 4 days.