Tightness in throat, feeling of obstruction in throat. Cause and cure?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 23 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I recently sold my business, was forced int retirement be cause of an autombile accident where I broke my femur and my foot. I ha ve suffered from post traumatic stress and generalized anxiety. My problem is a tightness in my throat. I have no problem swollowing and no pain just a feeling that there is something stuck in my throat.
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 34 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

The feeling of something stuck in the throat is called globus pharyngeus. It could be due to gastroesophageal reflux, anxiety or post nasal drip.

An upper GI endoscopy may be done for evaluation. Medication like prilosec would provide relief if it is due to gastroesophageal relief.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini