Tightness in throat after flu vaccine. Took xanax. Have watery mouth and lump in throat. Reason?

Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Vaccinations
Question: Hi,
I feel like a thumb is pushing my throat since this morning. it kind of goes down to my eospagus . Also inwant to know if this is realted to the recent flu vaccine inreceived at CVS on 1/10/2013c I had the flu vaccine 8 days ago at CVS right after the vaccine infelt like my throat got tightened but no swelling no rash, no hives no itching no swelling nothing so Inthoughtbthis could be a panic attack and took a .25 mg if Xanax. I also have anxiety panic disorder so i took Xanax. After, taking Xanax my throat went back to normal with in 20 minutes and i was fine till today. . But since this morning i have this choking feeling on and off when i drink water it gets better but starts in minutes again. My mouth us watery and tastes weired. Or i feel like that. I have this choking feeling Like reflux but no burning only like lump feeling in my throat my mouth is very watery too. I don't have any breathing problems.Could it be the flu vaccine?orcsomething else. It git qirse after i ate salad. Dressing i believe made it worse. I sent a message to my PCP the nurse told me that put a note in my immunization file about this for but didn't say i should come. It is very disturbing. What shoukd I do?
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

The symptoms that you describe are not due to the flu vaccine and you be rest assured that it is not a reaction to the vaccine.

You seem to be developing pharyngitis (infection of the throat) which can give rise to a feeling of the lump in the throat, difficulty in swallowing. It shall be better if you can get it examined by your nurse or doctor and start a decongestant tablet or syrup along with warm saline gargles. This should give your relief.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts of the case.

Wishing you an early recovery.

RKK
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 4 hours later
Hii don't think it is. I din't think that indescribed it to you well enough.
,It is not like a lump when i get infection in throat though.it does not hurt it is a choking feeling like someone is pushing with his finger to my throat kind of feeling. If I wash my mouth with water andcspit and if i burp or drink water it stops but then starts with in five to ten minutes. It actually now mostly moved to my eusphagus area. It is feels like something got stuck in there. Like reflux but no signs of stomach burn nir pain but when I burp the choking feeling stops.
I had a very good night sleep I didn't feel it , but i woke up now and it is still the same but not as bad as yesterday.
i want to ask one more question. Could this be an allergic reaction to the vaccine? How long after a flubshotvan allergic reaction start? Today is he 9 th day.
Also i woke up with a little pain in my back and upper legs.
I will make an appointment with my doctor but Monday burvwantbto make sure if thus needs emergency care or not.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 8 minutes later

Thank you for the update.

I would reiterate that it is not an allergic reaction to the flu vaccine. The reaction to the vaccine starts within a day and lasts for 2-3 days.

The description does not suggest an emergency care but you can take a decongestant tablet and observe. The pain in back and upper legs following the throat problem point towards a viral pharyngitis. However, I may be wrong as I am unable to examine your throat and neck.

I hope I have clarified your doubts.

Wishing you an early recovery.

RKK
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 17 minutes later
My throat is not sore , i can swallow easy I am not sure if it is pharyngitis.But i will take and donall the advice you gave. this is a feeling like something got stuckin my throat like i swallowed a ball or some. actually today it moved to my eusphagus more than my throat.
Like reflux my stomach started to slightly burn a bit too. But itvwasn't yesterday.
What shoukd i get or eat for reflux? (in case if it is)
I will take your advice and see a doctor Monday.
Thank you,
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 25 minutes later

Thank you for the update.

If you have a feeling that something has stuck or it is reflux then I suggest that you take plenty of liquids to wash down the thing that has stuck. To reduce the reflux take small quantities of milk frequently to counter the acidity.

I appreciate your taking my advice and following it up with your doctor.

RKK